Who knew something so pretty and intricate could be made from just jump rings? I decided to tackle one the “Idiot’s Delight”, also called the Byzantine chain. The pattern is tough to learn at first but once you get the hang of it, you’ll be rewarded with a lovely luxurious chain.
(2) 1 lobster clasp
(3) 2 pairs of pliers (I used my round and flat nose pliers; it’s a little easier on your fingers)
(4) Toothpick or other thin round-like device, like an awl
1. Connect three pairs of jump rings like shown to your lobster clasp. (Henceforth known as Pair 1, Pair 2, and Pair 3 respectively from top (lobster clasp) to bottom.)
2. Gripping Pair 2 as shown, “flip” open Pair 3.
3. Take your toothpick and separate Pair 2.
4. Now take your toothpick and pass it under the inner parts of Pair 3.
5. See where the toothpick passes? Grip it as shown. Now we’ll be removing the toothpick and replacing it with a jump ring.
6. In the same manner, we’ll be adding another jump ring in the same position as in step 5 so that it will be pair of jump rings.
7. Now that we have a pair of jump rings, grip the pair and add another pair of jump rings to the pair you just made.
8. Repeat steps 2-7 until desired length.
9. When you’re ready to end your bracelet, instead of making a pair, add a single jump ring (you’ll be ending on step 5).
And there we go! This bracelet is great worn on its own or paired with other simple ones. As always, please let me know if you have any questions at all! The pattern is a little complicated so feel free to leave a comment and I’ll try to clarify the steps.